Why An Independent
In Denver, just like in Washington, both parties are deeply invested in a system that rewards partisanship and dysfunction. Both parties are more committed to playing cynical partisan games than to governing responsibly. It's time to elect an Independent.
The two parties have fostered a system that rewards obstruction and ideological grandstanding instead of thoughtful, principled collaboration. The result is gridlock and dysfunction. Meanwhile our state faces pressing issues that are only getting worse as they’re neglected amid the political point scoring.
Unsurprisingly, people across our state and across the country are fed up with two party rule. It is negative partisanship and strategic 'lesser of two evils' voting that explains the two parties' vice grip on political power, not voters' love for the two parties. This is why the number of Independent voters has swelled around the country, and especially in Colorado. Independents now outnumber either Democratic or Republican voters. In House District 33, nearly 40% of voters are Independent, much more than in either party.
The time is ripe for truly independent leaders who will restore people’s trust in government by working for everyone, dismantling the broken partisan system, and finding common ground to form lasting solutions to our state's problems. Even the best intentioned representative from either party cannot operate with the independence our community deserves - partisan special interests and party bosses make sure of that. Vote for me, and together we can get our government working for the people again.
As an Independent, I have joined other Independents across the state that are supported by Unite Colorado by signing a Declaration of Independence. This Declaration is a statement of my values and promise to my constituents.
A Declaration of Independents
As growing partisanship threatens to deepen the divides in our state, we join together as political independents to declare five common principles that we believe can unite a new movement to repair our politics and restore the American dream for future generations.
First, we put the public interest ahead of any partisan or special interest.
- Government should represent “We, the people” –– not the party bosses or those who can buy access to power. As independents, we believe good governance is about rising above petty partisanship and putting the people first.
Second, we use common sense and find common ground to solve problems.
- We reject today’s zero sum politics and desire to work together with Democrats and Republicans in an inclusive and civil manner to get things done. As independents, we think for ourselves, understand different perspectives, follow the facts, identify root causes, offer new ideas, and make logical decisions.
Third, we stand for the timeless values of opportunity, equality, and stewardship.
We want to empower every Coloradan to realize their full potential, uphold equal rights for all under the law, and ultimately leave a stronger country for the next generation. As independents, we believe in both fiscal and environmental responsibility.
- We want to empower every Coloradan to realize their full potential, uphold equal rights for all under the law, and ultimately leave a stronger country for the next generation. As independents, we believe in both fiscal and environmental responsibility.
Fourth, we champion integrity, transparency, and accountability in politics.
- We seek to rebuild Coloradans’ trust in government by holding ourselves to the highest standards of honor and honesty and by fixing the broken incentives that contribute to political dysfunction. As independents, we support reforms to ensure our political process truly represents the people –– including the way we draw district lines, fund campaigns, and run elections.
Fifth, we believe in the shared responsibility of civic engagement.
- As Americans, we understand it is our civic duty to be informed and engaged on important issues. As independents, we encourage increased citizen participation in our political process and in service to our country.